Wednesday, March 2, 2011

High Places

"Oh, if only he would take her the whole way to the mountain places, instead of give her over to the care of other guides. 
When she thought of this, she said to him imploringly, "Will you not take me all the way? When I am with you I am strong and I am sure no one else but you can get me up to the High Places."
He looked at her most kindly, but answered quietly, 'Much-Afraid, I could do what you wish.  I could carry you all the way up to the High Places myself, instead of leaving you to climb there.  But if I did, you would never be able to develp hinds' feet, and become my companion and go where I go.  If you will climb to the heights this once with the companions I have chosen for you, even though it may seem a very long and in some places a very difficult journey, I promise you that you will develop hinds' feet.
Afterwards you will be able to go with me, 'leaping on the mountains', and be able to make the ascent and the descent in the twinkling of an eye.  (taken from "Hinds' Feet on High Places" by Hannah Hurnard)
Mark & I went up the mountain yesterday to take in the cool air, get our for a bit and see the snow.  Well, there was not much snow to be had, but enough to make things beautiful and give the air a crispness to it.  It was wonderful being up on the mountain. We explored a bit by driving new roads and found some quaint little cabins with beautiful views... we'd both love to be able to not only stay in one of those, but own one to use and have others use.  I thrive when I am in nature, it is my element, esepecially on top of a mountain.

Trouble is, we had to come down the mountain.  That is where the difficult journey seems to always take place.  Literally at times, like when a guy doesn't seem to know that ahis S500 Mercedes can go over 35, and that it can pull over and let people pass.  Mark was wanting a rocket launcher to help that process along.  He didn't get his wish.

Do you ever feel like "Much-Afraid" in the exerpt above?  I sure do, especially these days.  I know the journey is the important thing, but life is just plain hard sometimes.  I love my MK training meetings, but last night I left discouraged, mainly with myself.  Then I seem to come home, and make the rest of my life even more discouraging because I don't like the process of growing "hinds' feet" to be able to get up the mountains God has for me.  I like to feel strong, but there is a paradox in following Christ - it is only in our weakness that we can truly be made strong.  Boo. 

I long for the days I will be "leaping on the mountains".  That is my element.  That is what I was made for.  But I have to get up there first. 

1 comment:

Vonn said...

Good thoughts, very true. Dad